Pages

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Quickbits : Midrone, Heavy AmericA, Siamese


Midrone - Midronic (2017) Some Giorgio Moroder and a taste of retrowave
1984 was the year when radio couldn´t stop playing songs like "Doctor Doctor" by Thompson Twins, "Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood and "Big in Japan" by Alphaville.
1984 was also the year with plenty of feel-good films such as Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters and Footloose. I was 20 years old and I wanted the same haircut as Simon Le Bon in Duran Duran and I couldn´t care less what my hard rocking friends would think of me.
I was still a rocker at heart but as the incurable music lover I was back then and will always be, good music always finds a way to my heart no matter what form or sound it has.
Paul J. No aka Midrone from Madrid, Spain delivers his best album yet with "Midronic", just close your eyes and imagine it´s 1984 because this music is your ticket to the happy 80´s.
For fans of Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, Bodies Without Organs
(+) The only thing you need for your non-stop disco playlist of synth songs.
(-) When the music stops, I open my eyes and realize it´s 2017 and another terrorist attack is all over the news.


Heavy AmericA - ...Now (2017) The feeling you get when the music is more Vinyl than Spotify streams
Rock and roll ain´t supposed to be perfect, the genre is a bit like being a human and we aren´t perfect, we´re not machines.
The trio Heavy AmericA from Boston, featuring Mike Seguin - Lead Vocals/Guitars, Budd Lapham - Bass and Dan Fried - Drums, formed in 2013 because they were fed up with bubble gum and corporate rock.
Who can blame ´em?!
When rock and roll is only produced in computers with no real musicians playing at all and it´s all about "don´t-bore-us-get-to-the-chorus" song structures, that´s when rock and roll has stopped being dangerous so I welcome their new album "....Now".
With a sound that bring thoughts to early NWOBHM but also 70´s space rock and hints of 90´s alternative rock, Heavy AmericA has created an album that sounds like a live recording where the chorus isn´t such a big deal in the song.
Radio won´t play this record but I don´t think that was the idea from the beginning.
(+) I dig the Hawkwind-like sound in "Casting stones".
(-) They could´ve picked another opening track instead of the weak "Proud shame".


Siamese - Shameless (2017) The walking dead of pop is slowly killing rock
Danish rock band Siamese (formerly known as Siamese Fighting Fish) has signed with Artery Recordings for the release of their 4th studio album "Shameless".
I love their self-titled album from 2015 that felt like a breath of fresh air in the pop-dominated music business, I thought it would be their breakthrough album but I was wrong.
Now it looks like Siamese is aiming for "Shameless" to be their ticket to stardom because pop has not only infected their artistic rock sound, pop has taken over this band completely so I can only come to the conclusion that Siamese want to follow the same path as Linkin Park, Fall Out Boy and other ex.rock bands that rather have their songs on the charts right next to Bruno Mars and Sia.
Alright then, there are still guitars on "Shameless" but they´re so low in the mix that I can´t really label this a rock record.
(+) I admit that "My turn" and "Tunnelvision" are great songs but the production is just as harmless as Winnie The Pooh.
(-) We can´t count on Siamese being the ones defending rock.

No comments: